Adults love hot chocolate too, especially with a splash of schnapps and my special secret ingredient.
I love hot chocolate. Once December rolls around, I trade in my morning coffee for a Thermos of creamy hot chocolate. Then, when the sun goes down, I like a second helping — an adult hot chocolate cocktail in a nice big mug, topped with my special secret ingredient.
When I was a kid, I used to make instant hot chocolate from the premade packets. I heated it up with water in the microwave and somehow it tasted like heaven. The ones with the little marshmallows were always my favorite.
As I got older, that hot chocolate began to taste too diluted for my liking. It was more of the nostalgic flavor that kept me coming back every year. I began to take those packets to the next level and make them my own. I started by adding warmed milk instead of water. Then I added flavor extracts or whipped cream. I even used fancy pottery mugs that I could have sworn made it taste better.
Now I make my own hot chocolate and omit the premade packets. I also enjoy adding alcohol for a night cap option. To me, this recipe is perfection. The hot chocolate is creamy and chocolatey, and the vodka and schnapps add to the flavor. My secret ingredient? Dandies Peppermint Marshmallows. They make it a festive and just the right amount of over the top. You can find the peppermint-flavored Dandies at your local grocery around the holidays; they typically are not available year-round.
If you enjoy hot chocolate as much as I do, then you should cozy up with your flannels and fluffy blankets on the sofa with a steamy mug of this Peppermint Hot Chocolate Cocktail — it is sure to warm your body and soul.
- 2 cups whole milk or half & half
- 4 teaspoons brown sugar
- 5 teaspoons cocoa
- 4 ounces chocolate bar chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon peppermint schnapps
- 1 tablespoon vanilla vodka
- Dandies Peppermint Marshmallows
- Heat milk, brown sugar and cocoa in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat until bubbles start to form around the edges
- Add the chopped chocolate bar and stir until the chocolate is melted. Remove from heat and stir in the vodka and peppermint schnapps.
- Pour into mugs and top with Dandies Peppermint Marshmallows. You can also top with candy canes and/or chocolate shavings.