Cauliflower can replace high-carb vegetables without sacrificing flavor.
Flavorful food does not have to be loaded with extra calories. This Cheesy Cauliflower Soup is less than 250 calories per bowl and low in carbohydrates. I modified my recipe for potato soup by replacing the starchy spuds with fresh cauliflower, making the soup healthier, yet still flavorful.
Cauliflower is one of the most versatile and popular low-carb vegetables. Whether you are grilling cauliflower steaks on the grill or mashing steamed cauliflower to replace the potatoes in a recipe, it is a great substitute.
This delicious soup is made in an Instant Pot, a multi-cooker that drastically shortens the cook time for many recipes. It can be used for pressure cooking, slow cooking, steaming rice and sautéing.
Cauliflower, celery, onion, ham and cheese come together to make an inviting bowl of soup that your family will love. Cream-style corn gives the soup a bit of sweetness and helps to thicken it.
For an easy vegetarian version of Cheesy Cauliflower Soup, simply omit the ham. While it adds a smoky flavor and is also low-carb, the ham can easily be left out for those who are looking for a meatless option.
Whether it’s a hearty version with ham or a veggie-only rendition, you’ll be licking your lips and wanting a second bowl of this creamy soup. Garnish each bowl with sour cream and shredded cheddar cheese. Serve Cheesy Cauliflower Soup with a leafy salad for a delicious, low-carb meal.
Next time you make a favorite recipe that calls for potatoes, give it a second thought. Cauliflower can be a flavorful way to lower your carb intake and satisfy your craving for a comforting dish.
|Prep Time||10 minutes|
|Cook Time||1 hour|
- 1 large yellow onion chopped
- 3 stalks celery diced
- 1 cup ham diced
- 6 cups cauliflower cleaned and chopped (1 large head)
- 1 32 ounce container of vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 15 ounce cream-style corn
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt and pepper
- 1 cup mild cheddar cheese shredded
- 2 tablespoons flour mixed with 2 tablespoons of water to make a slurry
- Prepare your cauliflower by removing stems and chopping it into 1-inch pieces.
- Add the onion, celery, cauliflower, ham and vegetable broth to the Instant Pot. Cover with the lid and set pot to “soup” setting or heat on high for 30 minutes.
- Carefully release the steam and remove the lid. Use a potato masher to mash the vegetables in the soup to the desired consistency.
- Stir in the sour cream, cream-style corn, seasonings and shredded cheddar cheese.
- Mix the flour and water to make a slurry. Stir slurry into soup and cover with lid. Cook on “soup” setting or on high for 30 minutes more.
- Salt and pepper the soup to taste. Garnish it with extra shredded cheddar cheese. Serve it with a leafy, green salad and multi-grain crackers for a healthy, flavorful meal.